Tuesday, June 15, 2010

German Pancakes

1/4 cup butter/margarine, MELTED
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350*. Beat eggs for 1 1/2 minutes until mixed but not frothy. Add flour and milk, mix until incorporated. Pour melted butter into the bottom of 9X13 pan. Spread batter over butter. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until puffy. Do not let it brown.

*D: So, Tyler LOVES German Pancakes. The other night we were trying to decide what to eat and a commercial for Denny's came on TV. I saw that stack of pancakes and said, "Breakfast for dinner!" My sister-in-law, Julie, told me once to never underestimate the power of breakfast for dinner. We had BF for dinner growing up, and it's so true. I, for one, don't eat big breakfasts because they make my stomach hurt. I always felt like I was missing out. But, if you eat breakfast for dinner, you actually get to enjoy those tasty meals.


I'd never had German Pancakes until Tyler and I were engaged. They are denser than a regular pancake, with an eggy flavor and feel. But they are softer and lighter than an omelet (and there's no cheese).

Some recipes call for 3/4 cup of both instead of a full cup. Those recipes are fine. I prefer this one because it's easier to remember and measure :). And the egg flavor isn't as strong. It's more pancake than omelet. However, it is a little denser. The recipe says not to let it get brown. Mine got a little brown and it was still fine. Don't feel like you have to throw it away if the edges are caramel colored.

I don't want you to freak out the first time you make these, so here is a quick picture of what it will look like when the timer goes off:



Looks like something from Ghost Busters or something. Don't worry, it falls almost as soon as you pull it out of the oven.


And I've had requests for more pictures so you know whether or not to make something. Here is the picture of German pancakes, ready to eat:



I debated whether or not to add it because, lets be honest, it doesn't look all that appetizing. But, you asked, so there it is.

You just cut it up and serve it with maple syrup. Healthy? Probably not. Delicious? Definitely!
Pin It

No comments: