Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes and Onions

5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Paprika

In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion.

In a saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth, mayonnaise, salt and pepper; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.

Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until tender.

*D: Where's the cheese?! This recipe doesn't call for cheese, but it's one of the best recipes I've tasted, so I always add some. Just a layer on top before I bake it. I use dehydrated onions because it's easier than chopping, and that works just fine. Sometimes when a recipe calls for paprika, I totally skip that part, but not in this recipe. I'm a recently converted paprika fan. When a recipe calls for chicken broth (in general) I use bouillon rather than opening a can. If it calls for lots of broth (2 or 3 cans), then I will use the can instead of the granules.


I don't usually end up baking this for 2 hours unless I cut the potatoes thick or there are 2 dishes of it in the oven. Check the potatoes after 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to see if they are fork tender. Pin It

No comments: