Saturday, April 10, 2010

Q-tip: Meat Portion Control

Whether you are trying to lose weight, save a dime, or save yourself a few minutes of cooking, this q-tip is a great help.

When a recipe calls for a pound of hamburger, I brown a pound of hamburger with onions and garlic powder. When it's nice and cooked, I put half of it in a plastic container and pop it in the freezer. Next time I make a recipe that calls for a pound of browned hamburger, I pull the container out of my freezer, microwave it for a 30 seconds and viola! My meat is ready to go.

This cuts back on the amount of meat we eat, helping us get the protein we need without feeling like we are on a diet.

It saves us money because our meat goes twice as far.

It saves me time cooking so when it's 4:55 and Tyler will be home soon, my meal is already half cooked and I can just add necessary ingredients and make myself a casserole or skillet dish in half the time.

The same thing can be done with any ground meat (sausage, pork, turkey, etc) or even chicken. With chicken recipes, 9 times out of 10 I prefer not to leave the breast whole. I like making the chicken pieces bite sized. They cook faster (and there's a better chance they are cooked through without becoming tough) and I like having dishes I can eat one handed. (This is important when you have an infant.)

When freezing your chicken portions, I follow the same guidelines. I cut up my chicken with kitchen shears, cook it in a skillet until juices run clear, then scoop half of it into the plastic container and away it goes.

Take a look at your favorite recipes and see if these tips would help you manage your portions, save you money, or give you more time. Pin It

1 comment:

One Mom's Blog said...

Deborah, I love this cookbook blog!!!! I am going to be stealing many of these recipes, especially the apple recipes.

I wanted to let you know that if people have issues eating red meat (Ryan can't have it because he has high cholesterol) you can used ground chicken as a healthier option. Foster Farms sells it already ground now. You can find it at Fred Meyer (Kroger store) or even Wal-Mart. LOVE GROUND CHICKEN!